Hexadecimal to Decimal Free Online Converter - Convert HEX 2 DEC
Easily convert hexadecimal to decimal values with our online free tool. Get INSTANT results with our calculator.
How to convert hexadecimal to decimal with our free online calculator
Converting hexadecimal to decimal is extremely easy with our converter:
- Step 1: Enter or paste an hexadecimal value in the text box on the left. For example: "DADA" or "1E".
- Step 2: Our online calculator does all the math... Instantly.
- Step 3: Get a decimal value in the box on the right.
- Step 4: Do you need to convert HEX 2 DEC again? Go! You can do it unlimited times. Don't you love our converter?
Hexadecimal to Decimal Converter Chrome Extension
- HEX 2 DEC online calculator ➡️ Get the Chrome Extension (FREE)
Hexadecimal system: What is it and how does it work?
The hexadecimal system, or HEX number system, is a positional numbering system based on 16. This means that the hexadecimal system uses 16 symbols to mark a number, which are: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F.
The hexadecimal representation of numbers is used in information technology to record numerical values in memory registers. The hexadecimal system has the advantage of using fewer symbols (digits) to store very large data and numerical values, since it allows to occupy less memory in terms of bytes. The hexadecimal system is also particularly useful because each HEX digit can be represented by exactly four binary digits. For example, the last digit of the hexadecimal system (F) 16 is equal to the binary number (1111) 2.
Converting hexadecimal numbers to the traditional decimal system, which we understand and use on a daily basis, is a common task for computer scientists, engineers and programmers / developers.
What are the uses of hexadecimal
Hexadecimal numbers are used primarily in the following:
- On web pages to define the colors. For example, IndianRed color has the hexadecimal value #CD5C5C corresponding to rgb(205, 92, 92).
- To represent the MAC address. Media Access Control (MAC) is a unique identifier assigned to a NIC (network interface controller).
- Memory locations. Binary characterises every byte as eight digits while in hexadecimal it reduces to two.
How to convert hexadecimal to decimal
You can convert hexadecimal to decimal manually, performing mathematical calculations, or you can use a specific tool for it (a software or a web platform).
To calculate the value of a hexadecimal number in decimal it is necessary to know the comparative table between both numerical systems.
Hexadecimal to decimal Table
To pass a hexadecimal number to decimal it is necessary to know the equivalence between both systems. In the following table we can see how from 0 to 9 the two systems are equal. From the number 10, the hexadecimal system begins to include letters until it reaches the number 15 (F in hexadecimal).
The process to convert a number from hexadecimal to decimal is fast and simple. Starting from right to left, multiply each digit of the hexadecimal number by 16. Then, you raise it to a power of 0 and increase that power by 1 each time according to the hexadecimal number equivalent (each time you multiply by 16, the power increases). To get the decimal number you have to add all these calculations.
Hexadecimal to decimal example
The best way to understand how to convert a hexadecimal number to the decimal system is with an example.
Let convert the 8DF hexadecimal number to its equivalent in the decimal system. The step-by-step calculations are:
- F = 15 * (16^0) = 15. We start from the right with the calculation of F, which corresponds in the table with the decimal number 15 (we can refer to the previous table). As it is the first step, we multiply the 15 by 16 raised to 0 (which is 1).
- D = 13 * (16^1) = 208. The D is 13 in decimal, and since it is the second step we multiply it by 16 raised to 1 (which is 16).
- 8 = 8 * (16^2) = 2.048. The 8 in hexadecimal matches the 8 in decimal. Since we are in step three, we must multiply the 8 by 16 raised to 2 (which is 256).
- 8DF= 15 + 208 + 2.048 = 2.271. Finally, we add the three results obtained and we will have the result of converting 8DF to hexadecimal.
Converting a hexadecimal number to decimal is a simple mathematical process. Although the manual calculation does not have great complications, the process is accelerated and much easier if tools (like ours) are used to do it automatically.
Feel free to use our free Hexadecimal to Decimal online converter as much as you need. Thank you very much for sharing our online conversion tool / calculator with your friends and family.